The Next Big Thing
Blame Andy Remic! He tapped me on the shoulder, handed me the Black Spot, and he has a big gun…
1) What is the working title of your next book?
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
Years ago I was musing about Saparmurat Niyazov (aka Turkmenbashi, you know, him) sponsoring the London Olympics in the then somewhat distant future for the glory of himself and of Turkmenistan of which he was dictator, since he had about 3 billion in spare cash in Deutsche Bank; then terrorists bio-attack the opening ceremony of the Games to zap him. The Waters of Destiny has nothing whatsoever to do with this. Just as well, since Turkmenbashi died in 2006. But anyway that was the first faint germ of a notion.
3) What genre does your book fall under?
HCTMT. Historical & Contemporary Thriller of Medical Terrorism.
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Benedict Cumberbatch as our 12th century Arab Doctor, Maribel Verdú as Abigail.
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
An Arab doctor of genius in the 12th century tames the true Black Death on behalf of the Assassins of Alamut with terrible repercussions nowadays.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
It ´s being ebooked in all formats by a newly-founded Spanish company, which will go on to epublish books in Spanish.
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
It took me and Andy about 3 years.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Various reviewers have muttered the words Dan Brown but then appeasingly added that Waters is better written, more interesting, more intelligent…
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
The fascination of discovery of so many things we never knew before.
10) What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
Its beautiful covers by Ana Díaz. That´s before you even start turning the pages…
Okay: Pandemic plague nowadays? How a fanatical 12th century Arab doctor could discover the truth about the Big Bad Black Death (which has nothing to do with rats and fleas), and store the source, genuinely within the mindset and medical technology of the time 800 years ago? How about: who murdered the Mongols and half of Europe for good measure?